Gregory D. Zeck
Cell: (847) 271-9517
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign May 2012
Bachelors Degree in News-Editorial Journalism
SPORTS WRITER November 2012 – August 2012
Sun Coast Media Group – The Charlotte Sun
- Professional beat experience on Class-A Minor League Baseball franchise and high school athletics.
- Consistently worked filed stories on deadline and assisted in proofing pages.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interview amateur and professional athletes and coaches.
ASSOCIATE REPORTER May 2012 – October 2012
Major League Baseball Advanced Media – MLB.com
- Gained professional beat experience covering the Tampa Bay Rays for a major media outlet.
- Filed stories, including previews, recaps and features, to be consistently filed on deadline.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interview professional athletes and coaches.
- Provided video content for raysbaseball.com.
- Worked closely with other reporters and producers to provide necessary content for the team and national websites.
STAFF WRITER February 2010 – May 2012
Daily Illini – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Writescolumns, news stories, and features, primarily for the men’s basketball team and formerly for the men’s tennis and volleyball teams.
- Consistently files stories within deadline.
- Demonstrates the ability to cover a beat both independently and with a team of other reporters.
- Conducts interviews with students, faculty, athletes, coaches and members of the community.
- Gained experience copy editing stories and posting them to a website.
COMMUNICATIONS INTERN June 2010 – May 2012
Colleges of Engineering and Education – University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Internship experience in writing and editing articles for the College of Education’s annual report, which is used as a promotional tool to attract new students and keep alumni informed with events in the college.
- Ability to effectively interview people, providing a relaxed atmosphere to help the interviewee feel more comfortable.
- Responsible for setting up interviews and taking photographs for events, managed social media pages
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects on time in a deadline oriented environment.
Software: Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, basic Adobe Flash and basic HTML
Languages: German (Basic, 4 years in high school)
Sports Editor for high school newspaper for two years.
Member of high school football team for four seasons.
Webmaster for high school basketball team’s website.